Last month saw the introduction of the Public Health Bill into the National Assembly for Wales.
We are pleased that the Bill includes:
- A proposal for a register for anyone selling tobacco - this is an important step forward to tackle underage sales and sales of illegal tobacco
- Regulations to extend smokefree spaces to areas such as hospital grounds in the future
The Bill also includes proposals to:
- Restrict the use of tobacco and nicotine inhaling devices (such as e-cigarettes) in enclosed public places
- Prohibit the handing over of tobacco and nicotine products to under 18s
The Health and Social Care Committee is calling for evidence on the general principles of the Public Health Bill. We will be drafting a template response to share with partners and we would urge you all to respond. You can keep full track of the progress of the Bill on the Assembly's website.
- We will be sharing our template response through the WTHN
- Closing date is the 4th September